Monday 8 July 2013

Well I hope that everybody had a safe and happy weekend. We've just been through 2 long weekends one north and one south of the border. No I don't mean the Mason Dixon Line and no, not the Rio Grande either:-):-) Fairly quiet week again as I decided to go visit the parents on the weekend. By doing this I fulfilled familial needs as well I could drop of the tray pattern at Lake Foundry in Grimsby Ontario to have 5 more tray brackets cast for the lathes. Unfortunately they will be on leave end of July beginning of August so will not be able to pick them up until Mid August. Oh well we've waited this long a few more weeks won't hurt us. As well I picked up the horizontal arbors from the Brother in law. Here is a picture of the three arbors I got. As well here is a picture of the collets I received earlier in the week.
In the workshop I cut and welded and painted the steel that I will use for my two dollies to move the lathe around. I essentially just duplicated the ones I built earlier. maybe a little different just to fit the size of the wheels on the castors. As well I painted up both tray sets for the #39 and the #86 Lathe. I'll include a few pictures of these items as well.
I'm in the process of trying to sell some woodworking tools to make space for the metal working tools. Only have so much space in a two car garage. I sold the Jointer already and have now listed the table saw and the thickness planer. Before these two items disappear I thought it would be prudent to mill and glue up three boards to form a shelf that will straddle the two lathe legs just like I did for the #39. So here's a picture of the white oak boards glued up in the clamps. 

 This board is now planned down to final thickness and the accompanying pieces are planned as well. They'll sit around until the lathe is on her own two feet. Well back to work tomorrow until Monday at Noon. We'll see how much I can do this week. My gut feel is very little and then next week while I'm on break I can get to machining up the Collet draw bar for the Van Norman #10 and also machine up the bolt I still need for the collet tray. After those two items are done we'll get back to work on the lathe body for the #86.

Till next time
Harold

No comments:

Post a Comment