Saturday 29 June 2013

Again a pretty slow week. Went into work on Tuesday at 0400L so that I could send a package overseas with some of my workmates who were heading to RAF Leuchars. Then went into the office and left 12hrs later. With a busy work week no major projects were done. I did pick up all the steel and castors to make movable mounting brackets for the lathe. Ended up getting cast iron castors since they were cheaper and had a heavier weight rating. I don't really plan on moving the lathe a lot. Mostly the moving will be while the restoration is happening. At the same time picked up some steel so that I can make the collet draw bar for the Van Norman Mill I purchased. Here is a picture from another Van Norman #10 owner of the collet draw bar that I need to make. Not really too difficult. will be made out of two pieces that will be press fitted together and then welded together. The two harder sections will be boring and threading the one end and making the hex bolt on the other end.
 At this time still awaiting delivery through the Post office of the collets that I bought from the US. The arbors are at the Inlaws and will be picked up somewhere down the road.
Well I said that I painted the cabinets last week and this week I painted the lettering on the cabinet doors. At the same time I gave the collet tray support arm it's coat of paint as well. Here are some pictures showing the interior of the small cabinets, cabinets with the door installed and the collet arm. Sorry for the poor quality of the last picture.


These will just set off to the side for now along with the collet tray until the rest of the body of the lathe is finished. First job this week will be to make the dollies and then later will be to finish the work on the lathe body itself. 
Well have a great July 4 weekend south of the border and we'll enjoy a great Canada day north of the border.

Harold

No comments:

Post a Comment