Saturday 21 December 2013

Well I'd hoped to be able to show you the steps I took to making a transition plate that would mount to the existing holes and then be setup so as the overhead drive would mount to this plate. After discussion with some of the other lathe owners the decision was made to buy some 1/2" steel plate and carefully drill out holes in the plates to match the holes in the lathe body. I would secure this plate to the lathe using countersunk bolts. I would then drill holes into the plate in the location where the mounting holes should be to hold the overhead drive. These holes would be slightly under 1/2" dia. I would then chamfer the back of the hole and place a chamfer on the stud that would go into this hole. I would then carefully press the stud in and weld this stud in place. With all 4 studs properly secured I would mount the two plates and then mount the overhead drive on the 4 studs. By doing it this way I do not drill any extra holes into the lathe and thereby do not compromise any more of it's integrity.
So that was the plan however mother nature got in the way. I had placed an order with the local metal supplier for some round stock for the "shake adjusting nut" as well as some flat stock for this transition plate. However on Friday when I was supposed to pick it up we ended up with the start of an Ice storm. So far we've had I believe the better part of 10-15mm of ice accumulate on roads, vehicles, trees etc. So I was unable to pick this metal up. This storm is expected to finally end late Sunday so looks like a fairly quiet weekend will be had. No reason to go driving so we'll stay nicely at home. Because of this I cannot do much this weekend. I hate taking too much stuff apart too far in advance so I'm not going to strip more pieces apart. About all we did this week was clean up a few parts from the drive. I've cleaned and painted the two bearing caps and I've cleaned and prepped two hangers for their primer and paint. Here are the pieces I am working on. The two bearing caps are on the left on the wood plate and the two hangers are on the right warming up before priming today.

Well I hope to be able to pick up the metal on Monday and then be able to work on this stuff over the next week. More news next week.
To each and everyone of you  Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. May you all have a wonderful Christmas season.

Harold

No comments:

Post a Comment