Sunday 12 January 2014

Sorry I'm a little late posting this however had to spend some time in the shop doing things so I could talk about them.
First thanks to Doozer and his comment I checked the "stretchiness" of my silent chain. With the chain on the sprocket all the way around I can pull the chain approx 3/16" of an inch away from the sprocket at the opposite side from where the break in the chain is. So not as worn as Doozer's however not pristine as well. I will most likely just install them as is and see how noisy or sloppy they end up being before I try and locate some replacement chain. I believe I can find this chain since I've seen a couple of companies mention leaf chain with 3/8" pitch. Just will need to find out cost and how to procure this chain.
Last week I mentioned that I was waiting for a new 3/4" drill chuck to be able to mount the countersink and drill out the plates. Well the chuck arrived on Thursday. So out with the old and in with the new chuck and drill away. Here are a couple of pictures of the process.



First picture shows me working on the lower plate. On this plate there were two holes that were pristine so I could just countersink them directly. The third hole was slightly elongated so I mounted the plate with the two countersinks and carefully marked where the countersunk bolt touched the plate so that when it was mounted back in the drill press I could ensure that I was drilling the countersink in the correct location. Once this plate was done, as you can see in the second picture, I went on to the upper plate. On this one only one hole was pristine the other three had some elongation. With this in mind each hole had to be countersunk plate mounted check where the bolt hole hit the plate and then drill out the next countersink. On the whole it went quite well and all seven holes were countersunk in the correct location. In the third photo you can see both plates mounted with countersinking complete. Only issue that I came across was the bottom right hole on the upper plate. Whenever the hole was drilled in the lathe and tapped, the person drilled the hole at a slight angle and therefore the countersink is just a little out of alignment. Once this was done I cleaned the plates and primed them on the front face. I then remounted the top plate and carefully scratched in the primer where the horizontal plane of the mounting holes will be and then scratched the vertical line on the right side of the plate where the upper right stud will be mounted. These lines were based on measurements provided by two other QC owners and their measurements were within thousands of each other. I then removed the plate and drilled a 1/4" hole before I drill it out for the stud size. Initially I bought 1/2" bolts for the studs however after measuring the hole in the overhead bracket I notice I should have bought 9/16" bolts. So on Monday off to Fastenal to buy the correct size bolts and a 35/64" drill bit to force fit the studs into the plate prior to welding. Below is a picture of the pilot hole drilled for the first stud.


During the week I was also thinking about how I was going to lift this Overhead bracket while I am trying to drill out the stud holes and mount the bracket. This is a cast Iron bracket and probably weighs close to 100lbs. At first I thought about buying an engine hoist and using it, and once finished selling the hoist. However on looking at them I did not think they would give me enough height to mount the bracket. Since I am moving in the next 6 months I did not want to start fiddling around with installing a bracket on the roof trusses and hoist it up that way. So decided to buy some lumber and make a temporary gantry. Bought some 4 by 4's and some other dimensional lumber and made up a gantry. Here is a picture of the gantry and the new chain hoist I bought to lift the overhead bracket. This contraption will work great for what I need to do and once I'm finished I can just disassemble it as it is screwed together.


I've since laid the overhead drive back on the ground until I am ready to lift it into place. The last picture I'll show you is the 3 step pulley section of the overhead drive. I initially put it back together but have decided to install some oilite thrust washers on the shaft between the bracket and the two sprockets. The original fibre washers were still here but they are not in the best condition. Once these washers show up later this week I can put this assembly back together. 


Well that's all for this week. I look forward to "talking" to you again next week. Until then have a great week and hopefully enjoy some nice weather.

Harold


No comments:

Post a Comment