Saturday 18 May 2013

Well it won't be a very big post this week either as I did not do much in the shop. Worked all week and since I've started biking into work I just don't have as much energy to work at night.

Well the big start has occured. I sent the legs, the shelf and the two pedestal cupboards and doors off to the sandblaster to be blasted before I paint them. Here's a picture of the parts in the truck before I dropped them off.
 These parts should be ready for me when I get back from vacation.
Since the small pedestals were shipped out for sandblasting I removed the two knobs from them and cleaned them up. I've decided to leave the face and rim clear so they were stripped and smoothed out and then buffed up to a nice shine. The Lathe I've decided will be a Gloss Black so when I pick up the paint will paint the back of the handles to match. While I had the handles off I cleaned up the screws and to confirm the pitch I checked them with a thread gauge. Low and behold the threads were not 26TPI as I expected, they were 24TPI. Looks like somebody replaced the originals at some time. Got out the 1/4 by 26TPI Tap and dies. First cleaned up the knob with the taps and then cut two new screws on the #39 and threaded them to match. Carefully cut and filed the slots in the heads and then polished them up. Works like a charm and they are now more authentic than the old screws. Heres a picture showing the two knobs.
I'll give them a quick coat of primer on the back and then store them away until needed in the restoration project.

Been looking around a little with an eye to picking up an electric motor for the lathe. The only issue I'm dealing with right now is do I stick with the authentic system with motor, 2 speed transmission and 3 step pulley giving me 6 speeds plus using the back gear to get another 6 or do I install a 3phase motor with VFD and therefore get essentially multiple speeds. I'll have to do some real thinking on this. If I stay authentic then I believe I'll have to look for an older Century electric motor maybe one of those Repulsion-Induction styles.

Later this week heading into cottage country to look at a Van Norman #10 milling machine. As well dropping of the parts I made for Bruce in Toronto on Friday and then heading of to the parents to drive them to my Grandmother in Kalamazoo who turns 101yrs old this year. Should be a good trip and while there will be picking up the overhead drive I purchased from David Mathis down in California. I've emailed him a while ago to see if he finally got rid of the rest of the lathe or if he still had some pieces laying around, never did hear back.

I anticipate the next update won't be until 7 Jun. See you then and enjoy the weather. To all my American readers have a great Memorial day weekend next week.

Harold

No comments:

Post a Comment