Saturday 16 March 2013

Hello again. This Saturday we finished up the Collet trays. A couple weeks ago I purchased the metal flat bar that was required and since I wanted it to be more durable decided to use Stainless steel. Well I may not have to worry about rust or painting it however took twice as long as regular steel to work. I knew it was harder to work just didn't know how hard. First thing I did was make up the band that goes around the collet tray. This was reasonably simple quickly made up a template of the circle from scrap plywood and then carefully bent the 1.25"wide flat bar around the form. Once I had the metal shaped carefully measured and cut the hoop to the right length and then with the Tig welder joined the two ends together.  Needed to do a little sanding on the collet tray to get it to fit however we soon had the hoop around the collet tray. Here are two picture showing the Tray with the hoop and the weld joint.

I then proceeded to make the two washers/gussets that go around the central pivoting hole. There are two needed one on either side. After cutting them down as much as possible with the portaband I then ground them down into a circle on the grinder before going to the lathe to turn them down to 4" dia. Once this was done we drilled and then bored a hole to 1.25" for the spindle shaft. Once this was done drilled and countersunk 4 holes on each washer and then carefully installed them on the collet tray using the spindle extension as the support to ensure both washer were mounted in the right spot. Here are two pictures showing the top washer/gusset installed as well as a picture showing the screws that hold the ring to the tray.
 
 Now the only thing to do is make the large Shoulder bolt that holds the tray to the spindle. As well I need to make one more wheel bearing for the spindle tray and I need to make the runners that the tray rolls in. Will need to disassemble the one I have to get measurements for that. That will be next week's project.
Have a nice week
Harold

No comments:

Post a Comment